Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.
Empty Dreams, Displayed: Feeling Down and a Rant

Friday 29 October 2010

Feeling Down and a Rant

This month is Write Pink month and everywhere I have looked I have been confronted with stories about breast cancer - how to prevent it, how to recognize it, statistics and survival stories.  Barring the latter this information has done nothing but depress and scare me, creating a downward spiral.  It turns out I tick most of the boxes for most likely to get breast cancer - none of which I can do much about.  And the statistics really are frightening with how many people get it and how many people die from it.

Now I'm not suggesting for one minute that we stop making people aware of breast cancer and the affect it has on so many lives, but is it really necessary to ram it down our throats to the point that we have to tune out if we want to keep any semblance of sanity in our own lives?  Now, it might just be me, but I'm tired of being told that being fat will make it more likely - I would happily do plenty of exercise if I could (seriously, the moment you can't do something you start to crave it, even exercise).  I'm tired of being told that my lifestyle is bad of me and will end badly.  Maybe it will but I honestly don't have that much control over it, I'm doing the best I can, and I feel bad enough as it is without being reminded constantly that it's not good for me.  Trust me, I ALREADY KNOW.

So perhaps, if you really want the message to sink in, don't make everyone feel like they are failing at life - it's hard, accept that.  And don't push it and push it until no one is listening anymore as that really doesn't help you in any way.

No comments:

Post a Comment