Visit InfoServe for Blogger backgrounds.
Empty Dreams, Displayed: Samhain

Sunday 31 October 2010

Samhain

Today is Samhain - a festival celebrating the end of the summer and of respecting and remembering all those that have died as a way of commemorating the circle of life and death that is so apparant at this time of year.

So today I want to remember my Grandad who died of cancer a few years ago (I can't remember when exactly).  He was always full of life and seemed to have endless energy to play with me and my siblings.  And he was full of stories.  I regret now not writing them down as he told them as there were so many interesting tales of his time in the war and growing up that are now lost to us. 

I will always remember him telling us that he used to eat the skin of oranges during the war to fake a fever (something I've never tried so don't know how true this is).  I remember him telling us of doing physical work in the P.O.W (Prisoner of War) camp.  I don't remember him ever seeming upset or angry about his time in the war, he always managed to paint it as an adventure.

And my favourite memory - I remember sitting on my Grandad's knee while he sang 'Ride a-cock horse to Bambery Cross' bouncing me up and down.  Whenever I think of this song I think of him and the weekends I spent as a child staying round my Grandparents.

Samhain Blessings to you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment